Friday, June 10, 2016

DC Poets: Steve Castro

Hierarchy

If I were an archer angel, would I use 
my own wing feathers to make fletching?

If I were an angel with a right wing and a left wing 
as broad as the East and West winds but could not fly, 
would the other angels call me chicken?  

If I were a clumsy angel that often tripped and fell 
but not from heaven like Lucifer, 
would I be a constant reminder 
of that great and most ancient heavenly battle?  

If I could play a wind instrument, a water instrument, 
a fire instrument and an earth instrument, 
would the piano keys melt, quake, soar and float
as they touched my fingertips?  

If I had wrestled an angel like Jacob, would 
I have also tried to sacrifice Isaac like Abraham?      

Steve Castro received his M.F.A. in creative writing from American University. Feel free to visit his website: www.thepoetryengineer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment